Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It Takes Two to....

Tango
Vogue Germany April 2010
Ph: Karl Lagerfeld
Styling: Christiane Arp
Other models: Baptiste Giabiconi



I think this is one of the better things that Karl has shot featuring Freja. Maybe it's because there's a story motivating the photography, even though that story is probably trite and overwrought. But in this case I don't mind because I really enjoy seeing the chemistry between Freja and Baptiste.



They are really throwing themselves into the story, to the point where I actually believe there's some sort of relationship between the two of them. I'm sure in real life they're comfortable working with each other by now, after countless shoots together with Karl, and it really shows. There's an ease and relaxation in these images that can only stem from familiarity, and this is what makes the editorial so enjoyable to me.



I can already hear some people complaining that this is the same old thing from Karl and that it's boring and predictable, but I actually don't agree with this for once. I really wasn't expecting the dynamic movement and intimacy of the images. And even though the Tango story set in a cafe has been done before, this one still manages to be alluring, sexy and eye catching. I was looking at each and every image in order to catch all the details. And Freja plays this unexpected role quite well. I'm thrilled that she's gone from playing the sexless androgynous model to the sexy femme fatale in yet another show of her severely underrated versatility.



I feel like we're seeing a completely different model nowadays, and while I might still miss the Freja of yore, I'm starting to really admire this new one who is constantly surprising me with her maturity, intelligence and dexterity. It finally feels like Freja is completely at ease with her job as a model and that she's gained complete control of her body as a creative instrument.



You know, there is going to come a month where she won't have editorials in multiple magazines and I just don't know what I'm going to do when that happens. Sure, my wallet will be happy and I'll get a break from feeling like I have to say something pertinent, but I'll still be sad nonetheless. These past few months have been a complete joy in that I feel like we've seen Freja grow and transform once again before our eyes; like a second introduction five years into her career. And to be honest, I think we all needed that...at least, I know that I needed that.

Image Credits: scans by the wonderful helligirl @ tFS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...